“ In comparison to University graduates, what is the level of opportunity a qualified apprentice would have? ”

Izazul U. asked a question
during the live chat Meet the Apprentices - National Apprenticeship Week Live Chat
to Lloyds Banking Group Recruitment Team

on 08/03/2018
12 Live chat
I'm currently an Undergraduate in my first year at Leeds University studying history. Are there any opportunities that I could face if applying for vacancies in the Lloyds banking group?
on 08/03/2018
Cryptography Assurance And Codes, Lloyds Banking Group

Yes, is the simple answer. Look at the skills studying history gives you!

on 08/03/2018
Operations Manager (graduated Apprentice), Lloyds Banking Group

Just to jump in here too - I actually started studying History with the Open Uni and partway through my degree decided it wasn't for me. I applied for the higher apprenticeship scheme in Project Management, completed the 2 year course and the week I graduated I moved up a level in the bank into Operations. My History study allowed me to analyse information - a key skill for project managers and business analysts...

on 08/03/2018
Project Apprentice - Rectifications And Special Programmes, Lloyds Banking Group

As an apprentice with LBG, there's not only the on the job training, but many more opportunities and development support

on 08/03/2018

In terms of apprentices vs graduates career progression - grads aren't prioritised over apprentices

on 08/03/2018

Yeah and like Su, I studied history, then politics. Im a totally history freak. I think it gives you a greater appreciation for people, and fine detail you can add to your work.

on 08/03/2018

We're viewed in the same light regardless of qualifications done out side of Lloyds. 100% agree with Charlotte there!

on 08/03/2018

Yeah, I agree with Su on the view that we are treated equally. But I really think when you are looking at apprenticeships remember what skills you gain, not just what is in the units esp subjects like history. You know, if you are learning about the Victorians, its not your goal at the end to get job as a Victorian is it? Its about the skills you learn while learning about the Victorians.

on 08/03/2018
Associate Project Manager, Lloyds Banking Group

Yeah, you guys make some really good points. There are different reasons people chose university over apprenticeships but there are a few people in our scheme who already have a Master's degree but they joined the apprenticeship because the level of exposure and insight it gives you into a role and the company is particularly invaluable. It's hard to say which is the best option for you because at the end of the day, there are pros and cons for either path. What are your career aspirations, Izazul?

on 08/03/2018

I don't know many cons to my apprenticeship, I got good qualifications, I got paid well, so really I have no issues. But if you have no idea what you want there is lots of support on the LBG apprenticeships website.

on 08/03/2018

Yes same for me Charlotte - completed 2 apprenticeships with LBG. A level 3 and a level 4/higher apprenticeship. Both were excellent experiences for me, I got paid to learn and had study time as part of my day

on 08/03/2018

Https://www.lloydsbankinggrouptalent.com… 

on 08/03/2018
Izazul U.

I was looking into the apprenticeships and, although I love my studies, I wanted to access as many opportunities as possible. Is it at all possible to do an internship at Lloyds without being in the penultimate year at university?

Add to this thread

Lloyds Banking Group

We're looking for brilliant individuals with the potential to design and lead the Best Bank for Customers.

Visit website