“ How are non-traditional degrees perceived in banking? Would it be a disadvantage? If so, how do you combat this? ”

Emily L. asked a question
during the live chat Meet the Graduates & Interns of Commercial Banking in Lloyds Banking Group
to Lloyds Banking Group Recruitment Team

09/11/2018
9 Live chat
09/11/2018
Transaction Execution Manager/ Financial Intelligence Investigator/ Associate Relationship Director, Lloyds Banking Group

Hi Emily! I did a law degree so really not a traditional route into the banking industry! however, I have been able to utilise my skills from my law degree in all three of my placements so far because the bank is not just about numbers! There are so many roles, for example, my first in transaction execution was legal based so that was a win-win situation! It's really not a problem what your degree is in because variety is what makes this bank so great - what is your degree in?

09/11/2018
Graduate Relationship Manager, Lloyds Bank

Just to add to this, I work alongside people who have degrees in Geology, Fine Art and History. The subject itself isn't too important!

09/11/2018
Associate Business Development Manager, Lloyds Banking Group

And I studied Geology also, so it's really nothing to worry about! As long as you have an interest in the industry and keep yourself updated with current affairs you'll be golden!

09/11/2018
Emily L.

Thank you for all for your responses, they're very useful! I study Psychology and Business, so it is slightly linked on the Business side.

Perfect, so the best way is to ensure how I can use my degree to benefit the bank, great to know there is a search for diverse skill-sets! In the application process did you find it best to make a particular point of how the non-traditional degree can make you suitable?

09/11/2018
Analyst- Financial Institutions, Lloyds Banking Group

Hey Emily, a fellow Psych grad here! I studied Psychology and Behavioural Economics, so I can completely relate. Like my colleagues mentioned, our degree has definitely equipped us with solid skills to use in Commercial Banking (e.g. writing reports, reading papers to extract key details, statistical analysis, interpreting data etc).

I'd play these to my advantage if I were you. And remember, a huge component of banking is dealing with people - so definitely bring that into play and talk about how you understand how people work and how different personalities can work together. Lloyds banking Group encourages a collaborative culture so this is super important. It would probably be helpful to bring up some examples from any Organisational Psych modules you've taken!

09/11/2018
Associate Business Development Manager, Lloyds Banking Group

Hi Emily, just a little note... Psychology and Business sounds like a brilliant degree! The way I approached this was to research key competencies related to the banking and finance industry (such as commercial awareness, financial knowledge, analytical skills, relationship management) and relate them to my degree. I talked a bit about the number crunching and statistical analysis we utilised in Geology for projects determining the provenance of basaltic samples.

I'm sure in psych you must have some stats module. In addition to this, it's also worth mentioning the wider implications that studying for a degree had on you i.e better time management skills, juggling projects with different modules etc.

09/11/2018
Emily L.

It's great to hear about how another Psych grad managed to link our discipline to banking, thanks for the tips!

Thank you Saif, I think I'll start relating key competencies to my degree now! We study some stats and coding too, so that would be a fab idea. Thank you all for your help, I think that's answered everything!

09/11/2018
Emerging Talent Assistant Manager, Lloyds Banking Group

Thanks for your question Emily - and good luck with your application!!

09/11/2018
Emily L.

Thanks Connie!

Add to this thread

Lloyds Banking Group

We're looking for brilliant individuals with the potential to design and lead the Best Bank for Customers.

Visit website